[sane-devel] Error scanning with Canon Lide 100

Robert A. Schmied uwppp at flash.net
Wed Aug 1 20:00:32 BST 2018

dnilabs e.U wrote:
> hi guys! im having trouble with my canon lide 100, it has this annoying
> inverted stripe in the middle: https://imgur.com/a/iEhfs2O, while
> simple-scan works like this, scanimage -L doesnt show the scanner, but
> sane-find-scanner shows: "found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9 [Canon],
> product=0x1904 [CanoScan]) at libusb:003:004"
>
> dont really know what to do :(
>
> using arch linux
> sane-config --version
> 1.0.27
>
> btw. the scanner works perfectly fine on my macbook

aloha eu

first i suspect 'the scanner works perfectly fine on my macbook' is
because you were using commercial scanner software and not sane.

second, due to the way sane works without an lide-100 i really cannot
get too far into the detailed interactions between your scanner and the
sane genesys backend (or frontend either), but based on my lide-200 and
interactions with 1.0.27 sane here on a prehistoric sparc based unix box:

i too experience the centered vertical stripe, in addition the overall
scan seems to be too dark, meaning a white sheet isn't really 'white'.

  1) but scanimage -L should really find the scanner -- please provide all
     (any) output from the command (with the scanner plugged in of course).
     make sure file 'etc/sane.d/genesys.conf' is found by your sane installation
     (mine is at /opt/csw/) and the line usb 0x04a9 0x1904 is uncommented
  2) might be really good if you could provide the complete command
     line you use with scanimage or the myriad config settings if using
     some gui frontend.
  3) find and remove $HOME/.sane/canon-lide-X00.cal where X is likely 1
     and then verify it is recreated when you do another scan.
  4) see some of my recent comments about the genesys backend and the
     lide200.  i've made a horrible and completely not understood hack
     that changes the default gamma and how the calibration is performed.
     it seems to help, but is a pita not to mention a pos hack.

keep in touch, maybe we can collaborate and fix some of the issues with
genesys backend and the lide scanners.

regards

ras