[sane-devel] Radiograph sensor driver in SANE?

Tej Shah tshah.dental at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 00:21:30 GMT 2018

Hi, I reverse engineered some intraoral radiograph sensors (sensors
dentists use to take your x-rays) and made a proof of concept driver that
works! You can see the code here:
https://gitlab.com/DesiOtaku/cleardental-usbtest
(BTW: I am more than happy to completely re-write all the code as this was
just a proof of concept)

So right now, it is a stand alone program. However, I would like this kind
of code to move more "upstream" fashion. As far as I know, I am the only
one that worked on a Linux driver for these radiograph sensors.

So my question is should this kind of driver belong to SANE or should it be
its own separate project?

A little bit more background information:
The regular intraoral digital sensor is basically a CMOS sensor, but in the
x-ray spectrum. There are two basic functions that is needed:
getDarkImage: In order to get a good image, you need to subtract out all
the background radiation. So, before the x-ray source it actually emitted,
you need to get this dark image
waitAndGetImage: Basically, it will make the sensor wait until it gets a
certain threshold of radiation and then send back the image.
In both instances, it will return back a 16-bit greyscale image

So it is different than your typical camera or scanner so I don't know if
it is within the scope of the SANE project to have such code included or if
this should be its own project. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.