[sane-devel] Canon MX922 scan error

Louis Lagendijk louis at fazant.net
Sat Feb 24 14:14:22 UTC 2018

On Fri, 2018-02-23 at 15:20 -0400, J. Paul Bissonnette wrote:

> Sanner is discoverable and on the same net
>
> I set the Firewall
> BJNP	8612-8612	TCP	8612-8612
> Problem even when firewall is disabled

Ok, when the firewall is off and the problem still occurs, that can't
be the poblem. In any case you will have to allow UDP as well.
The protocol uses both TCP and UDP.
> Man sane-pixma claims the MX920 series is supported
> output frpm avahi-discover
> jpb at maple:~$ avahi-discover
> Browsing domain 'local' on -1.-1 ...
>
> '_canon-bjnp1._tcp' in domain 'local' on 2.0 ... Browsing for
> services
Ok, bjnp is supported, good

Can you please do the following (as root):
tcpdump host <ip-address of scanner>

and then in a different window:
scanimage -L

and mail me the output of both commands?

Some things you should try first:
1) Connect the scanner usinga USB cable. Does itwork?

2) Is the scanner connected over WIFI?
If so and you have a recent sane version, you could try to define to
define the scanner using a timeout value (e.g. at the start of the file
specify
bjnp-timeout=5000
See the description in the /etc/sane.d/pixma.conf (or whatever path
your distribution uses). The timeout parameter is supported since sane-
backends 1.0.27.
What OS/distribution are you using?

/Kind regards, Louis