[sane-devel] Epson V600 Perfection Scanner

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Sun Jul 22 14:26:34 BST 2018

Hi Mono,

Monosij Dutta-Roy writes:

> Hi Olaf -
>
> Thank you for your email. Answers for your questions as follows:
>
> $ sudo SANE_DEBUG_DLL=1 SANE_DEBUG_EPKOWA=hex scanimage -L 2>&1 | tee log
> [sanei_debug] Setting debug level of dll to 1.
> [dll] sane_init: SANE dll backend version 1.0.13 from sane-backends 1.0.27
> [dll] load: couldn't find backend `v4l' (No such file or directory)
> [dll] load: couldn't find backend `pint' (No such file or directory)
> [dll] load: couldn't find backend `epkowa' (No such file or directory)

Okay, so scanimage is trying to load the epkowa backend but for some
reason cannot find the backend.

> I have the epkowa.conf file installed. But no epkowa backend listed in
> dll.conf. As I stated in dll.conf epson and epson2 are uncommented.

You probably have a /etc/sane/dll.d/epkowa.conf that adds it to the list
of backends to use.  Otherwise, scanimage wouldn't try to load it.

> $ locate epkowa
> /etc/sane.d/epkowa.conf
> /usr/lib/sane/libsane-epkowa.la
> /usr/lib/sane/libsane-epkowa.so.1

This (libsane-epkowa.so.1) is the file I would have expected to be loaded.
I am clueless as to why this is not getting loaded so let's crank up the
debugging level for the dll backend.  The following command is going to
fail as before but I want to see what the dll backend is doing when it
is looking for the epkowa backend, so

  sudo SANE_DEBUG_DLL=127 scanimage -L 2>&1 | tee log

# If there's a lot of output, please attach the log file instead of
# pasting the output into your reply.

> /usr/lib/sane/libsane-epkowa.so.1.0.15
> /usr/share/iscan-data/epkowa.desc
> /usr/share/man/man5/sane-epkowa.5.gz

> I have copied some of the contents of the epkowa.conf in case some aspects
> need to be uncommented?
>
> [...]

Your epkowa.conf looks fine.

> Hope this is all the info you needed. Please let me know what I should try
> next.

Now apart from providing more information, you can try to "force" the
dll backend to find the epkowa backend with

  $ sudo LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib:/usr/lib/sane SANE_DEBUG_DLL=127 scanimage -L 2>&1 | tee log2

Please attach the log2 file.

Hope this helps,