[sane-devel] scanimage: undefined symbol: md5_buffer

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Wed Jun 6 13:15:10 BST 2018

Hi AugustQ,

AugustQ writes:

> My system: Ubuntu 18.04
> My scanner: Brother DCP 7010 (printer + scanner)
>
> I followed the advice given here:
> https://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Scanner/Brother/

Based on which I do an educated guess that you've installed Brother's
brscan2 driver, a closed source driver that only Brother can help you
with.

> But the scanner does not work. The symptoms are:
>
> - /sane-find-scanner/ reports this: found USB scanner (vendor=0x04f9,
> product=0x0182) at libusb:001:009
>
> - /sudo scanimage -L/ reports: scanimage: symbol lookup error:
> scanimage: undefined symbol: md5_buffer
>
> - /simple-scan/ says:
>  - ready to scan: Brother DCP 7010
>  - scanning failed: could not connect to scanner
>
> Do you have any tips for me to make this device work again?
> It did work without any problems in older versions of Ubuntu.

I've got two:
 - contact Brother to fix their driver so it works again
 - switch back to an older Ubuntu version where their current driver
   works

Hope this helps,