[sane-devel] question about Panasonic KV-S2087 driver

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 01:28:00 BST 2018

I can think of a few options:

1. There are three panasonic backends in sane already, perhaps one of
them could be modified to support this machine:
http://sane-project.org/sane-backends.html#S-KVS20XX
2. Contact Panasonic, and ask them to make the modifications or give
away the source
3. Reverse engineer the scanner (expensive machines like this one tend
to be easier to control from software)
4. Buy a different scanner that has the features you need, and a truly
open driver. (Fujitsu is an option perhaps)

allan

On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 5:48 PM, Martin Luessi <mluessi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to figure out if it is possible to use advanced features (push
> scan, post imprinting) of the Panasonic KV-S2087 scanner on Linux. There is
> a SANE driver for this scanner
> (https://panasonic.net/cns/pcc/support/scanner/linuxspanakvs.html), but the
> push can and post imprinting features are currently not supported.
>
> My first thought was that the driver may be open source and it may be
> feasible for us to modify the driver to support those features. But that
> doesn't seem to be the case, i.e., the driver contains compiled binaries for
> x86/amd64 and I can't find the source code anywhere.
>
> Am I correct in my assessment that there is indeed no open source driver for
> this scanner and supporting those features on Linux would be a major effort
> (essentially writing a new driver from scratch)?
>
> Best,
>
> Martin
>
> --

of my hand"