[sane-devel] XSANE fails to detect any scanner.

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Sat May 12 00:27:45 BST 2018

On Fri, May 11, 2018 at 10:31 AM, Aveek Basu <aveek.basu at lexmark.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I did some more investigation and here are the details in short:
>
> *1. libusb version 0.1-4 is not installed:*
>
> It has been observed in Ubuntu 17.10 (x86) / (x64) & Ubuntu 18.04 that libusb
> version 0.1-4  is not installed properly. Lexmark Scanner drivers require libusb
> version 0.1-4 for the scanners to get detected.
>
> This seems to be a Ubuntu issue and nothing specific to any application.
>
> *Bug logged:* https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xsane/+bug/1770653
> .

Not a bug. OS vendors are allowed to stop shipping outdated libraries, and
that version of libusb is ancient.

> *2.* *XSANE looking for driver files in different paths:*
>
> Usually XSANE used to look for the driver files in  /usr/lib/sane for 32
> bit version of the Ubuntu OS and /usr/lib64/sane for the 64 bit version of
> the Ubuntu OS. This was the case at-least till Ubuntu 14.10. After that
> there seems to be discrepancies in the locations XSANE is trying to find
> the driver files. Details mentioned below:
>
> OS
> OS locations searched by XSANE for the Driver Files
> Ubuntu 14.10 Ubuntu 16.04 Ubuntu 16.10 Ubuntu 17.10/18.04
> x86 /usr/lib/sane /usr/lib/sane /usr/lib/sane /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/sane
> x64 /usr/lib64/sane /usr/lib/sane /usr/lib/sane
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane
>
> So now the question is which should be the perfect path for XSANE to look
> for the driver files. If "*/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/sane*" and "
> */usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane*" are the confirmed new locations then
> the driver has to change. Need a confirmation on the same.
>
> *Bug logged: *https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xsane/+bug/1770656

Again, not a bug, recent Linux distros have started to package libraries in
this way.

You'll need to update your packages based on OS version, the same as you do
for your Windows drivers. Though, another solution to the problem would be
to open source your driver, and let the community package it for you :)

allan
--
"well, I stand up next to a mountain- and I chop it down with the edge of
my hand"