[sane-devel] XSANE fails to detect any scanner.

Aveek Basu aveek.basu at lexmark.com
Fri May 11 15:31:45 BST 2018

Hi All,

I did some more investigation and here are the details in short:

*1. libusb version 0.1-4 is not installed:*

It has been observed in Ubuntu 17.10 (x86) / (x64) & Ubuntu 18.04 that libusb
version 0.1-4  is not installed properly. Lexmark Scanner drivers
require libusb
version 0.1-4 for the scanners to get detected.

This seems to be a Ubuntu issue and nothing specific to any application.

*Bug logged:* https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xsane/+bug/1770653.

*2.* *XSANE looking for driver files in different paths:*

Usually XSANE used to look for the driver files in  /usr/lib/sane for 32
bit version of the Ubuntu OS and /usr/lib64/sane for the 64 bit version of
the Ubuntu OS. This was the case at-least till Ubuntu 14.10. After that
there seems to be discrepancies in the locations XSANE is trying to find
the driver files. Details mentioned below:

OS
OS locations searched by XSANE for the Driver Files
Ubuntu 14.10 Ubuntu 16.04 Ubuntu 16.10 Ubuntu 17.10/18.04
x86 /usr/lib/sane /usr/lib/sane /usr/lib/sane /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/sane
x64 /usr/lib64/sane /usr/lib/sane /usr/lib/sane
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane

So now the question is which should be the perfect path for XSANE to look
for the driver files. If "*/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/sane*" and "
*/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane*" are the confirmed new locations then the
driver has to change. Need a confirmation on the same.

*Bug logged: *https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xsane/+bug/1770656

Regards,
Aveek

--