[sane-devel] sane-find-scanner finds Canon Canoscan N24OU, scanimage -L does not

Terry Spearman tnspearman at twc.com
Mon Oct 29 04:27:16 GMT 2018

Hi Olaf,

Yes, I tried running scanimage -L when logged on as root with the same
result i.e. "No scanners were identified...."

Since my original post I made an observation which may or may not be
relevant. From the Centos 7.0 man page for plustek,
https://www.unix.com/man-page/centos/5/sane-plustek/

"FILES

/etc/sane.d/plustek.conf

The backend configuration file

/usr/lib64/sane/libsane-plustek.a

The static library implementing this backend.

/usr/lib64/sane/libsane-plustek.so

The shared library implementing this backend (present on systems that
support dynamic loading)."

On my system I'm seeing /etc/sane.d/plustek.conf but /usr/lib64/sane is
empty.  I've seen something somewhere that says if sane-find-scanner finds
the scanner but scanimage -L does not it means that you don't have the right
backend for the scanner installed.  Could a missing library file be the
culprit?

I should mention that, if it is not already obvious, I'm a relative Linux
newbie.  As always, any suggestions appreciated.