[sane-devel] Manage translations with Transifex [request]

Yuri Chornoivan yurchor at ukr.net
Mon Sep 17 06:34:50 BST 2018

понеділок, 17 вересня 2018 р. 04:33:34 EEST Olaf Meeuwissen написано:
> Hi Toni, Jeff,
>
> Antoni Bella Pérez writes:
> >   Hi Jeff,
> >
> > El diumenge, 16 de setembre de 2018, a les 14:46:27 CEST, Jeff va
escriure:

> >> It seems neither to be open-source, nor free for open-source projects:
> >>
> >> https://www.transifex.com/pricing/
> >>
> >   Their business model is work for money, and they can also ask you (with
> >
> > curriculum) make translations for a client.
> >
> >   For Open Source, read here:
> >  <https://docs.transifex.com/projects/open-source-project>
>
> I'm afraid that the SANE Project's exception to the GPL would disqualify
> it as a project using an OSI-approved license :-(
>
> >> I would rather suggest Rosetta (launchpad translations):
> >>
> >> https://translations.launchpad.net/
>
> To the best of my knowledge, Rosetta (and Launchpad for that matter) is
> not Open Source either :-(
>
> >> I have been using launchpad for translations for nearly 10 years. For
> >> the translators, it offers a user-friendly web interface, and
> >> suggestions for translation from other projects. Developers only have to
> >> upload the .pot, and when the translations are ready, download a
> >> zip-load of .po or .mo files.
> >>
> >   No problem for my, point a link and we will use it.
> >
> >   Toni
>
> Has anyone any experience with Pootle?
>
>   https://pootle.translatehouse.org/
>   https://github.com/translate/pootle

Hi,

Pootle is a long-standing platform. I have used it to translate LibreOffice,
Virtaal and Sugar Labs project. It is reliable, although not very fast. ASAF,
no free Pootle server to translate whatever you like available now. If we want
to use Pootle to translate sane-backends we have to create our own server.

Alternatives are Red Hat's Zanata [1] hosted by Red Hat Inc. and Weblate [2]
hosted by its community. Both of the projects allow their servers used for
FOSS projects.

Zanata can be used in general or as a part of Fedora Project ("upstream" group
[3]). It has monstrous Java client, maintained awfully (almost every new
release break something without adding useful features), does not have
reliable alert system but has the best translation memory capabilities.

Weblate is fresh, relatively fast but slightly overloaded.

Anyway, the first thing needed to use these servers is the sane-backends.pot
file in the repo.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Yuri