[sane-devel] CanoScan 8800f on Genesys backend

Patrick Menschel menschel.p at posteo.de
Thu Apr 25 08:38:13 BST 2019

Hi,

I'm new to the mailing list and to SANE as well.

I'd like to ask if there is documentation / guide how to add new devices
to the Genesys backend?

I'm facing the problem to get a CanoScan 8800f working on a headless
Raspberry Pi while using Scanbuttond to start different scan mode scripts.

As the CanoScan 8800f currently uses the PIXMA backend, it is limited to
2 buttons and one is the on/off button, so no luck with that.

On the other hand, I tested the setup with a Canon Lide 220 that already
uses the Genesys backend and it worked exceptionally well.

For the Genesys backend, the CanoScan 8400f, the little brother of the
8800f, is already included in backends/backend/genesyy_devices.c .

So the most promising solution would be to add the 8800f to the Genesys
backend instead of PIXMA.

Thanks and Best Regards,
Patrick Menschel