[sane-devel] Option text help

abel deuring adeuring at gmx.net
Sat Aug 10 11:29:48 BST 2019

Am 10.08.19 um 09:31 schrieb Olaf Meeuwissen:
> Hi Ralph,
>
> littlesincanada writes:
>
>> Hi,
>> While scanning through the messages to fix up some grammar and spelling
>> mistakes, I came across this following in the file:
>>
>> backend/kvs40xx_opt.c:405
>>
>> There is a message that I cannot decipher:
>>
>> "Long Paper Mode is a mode that the scanner reads the image after it
>> divides long paper by the length which is set in Document Size option."
>>
>> Can anyone tell me what it means and what it does?

I have no direct experience at all with these big Panasonic scanners.
But your question (which I noticed only now in Olaf's reply...) made me
curious. So I tried to find some hint what could be meant by searching
for manuals of one of the scanners supported by the kvs40xx backend,
specifically, the model KV-S3085. The manual of Panasonic's own "Image
Capture Software" gives a clue.

- Open this page:

  https://panasonic.net/cns/pcc/support/scanner/download.html

- Scroll to the section "Image Capture Software"

- Click the "manual" link for version 3.7.0.34.

- Accept Panasonic's "EULA for manuals"

- or directly open

https://www.psn-web.net/cs-im/Japan/Scanner/cojp/data_e/manual/pics-e_37.pdf

Page 92, section 9.2.15 is about "Long Paper". As I understand it, the
scanner sends in "long paper" mode a sequence of images, where the size
of the images is determined by the page size settings. But I did not
read the manual very carefully, so I could also be totally wrong...

Abel