[sane-devel] Umask and xsane

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Fri Aug 30 10:03:00 BST 2019

Hi Richard, list,

Olaf Meeuwissen writes:

> Hi Richard,
>
> Richard Ryniker writes:
>
>> Olaf Meeuwissen <paddy-hack at member.fsf.org> wrote on Wed, 28 Aug 2019 20:18:26 +0900:
>>
>>   Any files created by XSane (or any SANE frontend or backend for
>>   that matter) on behalf of the user should use the user's primary group,
>>   IMNSHO, *and* honour the user's umask, no matter how odd.
>>
>> I agree about umask, but do not think SANE should contravene the system
>> design and fifty years of history to create output files with unusual and
>> unexpected characteristics.
>
> My intent is to have XSane behave according to the principle of least
> surprise.  Using the user's primary group and umask seems to fit that
> bill.

Correction: This should be the user's *current* group.  Richard pointed
            out in private communication that the user may have `sg`'d
            before starting XSane.

> [...]
>
> So for my principle of least surprise goal, XSane should honour the
> set-group-ID bit as well and let that override the user's primary
> group.

s/primary/current/ above and below

> Hmm, I guess that boils down to "Don't *enforce* a primary group".
>
> [...]

Actually, it seems to boils down to "Don't do anything special unless
saving authentication credentials", I think.

Hope this helps,