[sane-devel] Canoscan 5200F

Povilas Kanapickas povilas at radix.lt
Sun Dec 1 09:29:36 GMT 2019

Hi Ralph,

On 11/8/19 8:59 AM, Ralph Little wrote:
> Hi,
> I have come into possession of a Canoscan 5200F.
>
> It is reported by sane-find-scanner as a gl842 but having cracked it
> open, I don't see any sign of one of those.
> Just what looks like a proprietary controller with numbers on that I do
> not recognise and no maker's mark, and some other ancillaries including
> a bank of EDO RAM.
>
> Is there any chance that this thing might be a gl842 in disguise, or
> perhaps a misdetect?
>
> I just saw a posting from someone else just now from 2015 also having a
> look inside one of these and reporting the same hardware.
>
> Interested if anyone has a view on what protocol this might be using.
> Perhaps a project for me after looking at something simpler like the
> Canoscan 3000F, which is apparently a gl646.

So far I've opened only a couple of genesys scanners, but out of those
that I did open, the chip was clearly marked with its genesys chip
number, e.g. GL843. I think it's very likely that 5200F has proprietary
controller, because there are few reasons why chip manufacturer would
relabel its product just for a single customer.

Regards,
Povilas