[sane-devel] Question about Distributing via Flatpak

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Wed Dec 4 12:42:51 GMT 2019

Hi Philipp,

Wismerhill writes:

> Hi to all,
>
> I´m new to the list, my name ist Phil. I´m an Enduser of Sane via an
> OpenSuse 15.1
> I have Problems to Scan with my "Canon Scan Lide 210" the scanner
> freezes when i want to Scan up 1200 DPI resolution.
> After quite a while of research i found out that it is a Problem
> related to the USB3 Port.
> In Forums some others told that they don´t have the Problem with a
> higher Version, so i tried to compile the latest Version myself, but i
> failed (afterwards my scanner wasn´t recognized).
> So I looked if a Flattpak is available to avoid to handle with the
> compiling Stuff.
> I wan´t to ask you if it´s possible to provide Sane via Flatpak over
> Flathub. It would be a great benefit also to the Distros as to the
> Users.
> The Users have the latest stable release, and the Distros less work
> and Flatpak can proof its useness.

While I fully understand your frustration with not being able to easily
install a pre-compiled version of the latest released version or even a
snapshot of sane-backends, I feel this is an area where the binary
packagers should pick up the slack.  If there are already binaries for
an older version, just nudge the folks who made those to rebuild for the
newer version(s) that have come out since.

Hope this helps,