[sane-devel] Canon imageCLASS MF416dw & Ubuntu 18.04

John Oliver joliver at john-oliver.net
Tue Jan 1 18:43:03 GMT 2019

I'm trying to get this scanner working, and am having zero luck.
According to the supported scanners page, I should be using the PIXMA
backend, but that requires BJNP, and an nmap says that port is not open,
and suggests I should be using MFNP, but PIXMA says you *must* use BJNP,
so...

joliver at blinky:~$ !610
sudo nmap -sU -p 8610-8612 192.168.0.20

Starting Nmap 7.60 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2019-01-01 11:39 MST
Nmap scan report for 192.168.0.20
Host is up (0.050s latency).

PORT     STATE         SERVICE
8610/udp open|filtered canon-mfnp
8611/udp closed        canon-bjnp1
8612/udp closed        canon-bjnp2
MAC Address: 80:A5:89:BD:C7:39 (AzureWave Technology)

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 2.01 seconds

An awful lot of the things I'm finding have to do with specific
(non-Canon) scanners.  What can I do to start ground-up troubleshooting?