[sane-devel] Canon imageCLASS MF416dw & Ubuntu 18.04

Louis Lagendijk louis at fazant.net
Tue Jan 1 23:07:35 GMT 2019

On Tue, 2019-01-01 at 10:43 -0800, John Oliver wrote:
> I'm trying to get this scanner working, and am having zero luck.
> According to the supported scanners page, I should be using the PIXMA
> backend, but that requires BJNP, and an nmap says that port is not
> open,
> and suggests I should be using MFNP, but PIXMA says you *must* use
> BJNP,
> so...
>
> joliver at blinky:~$ !610
> sudo nmap -sU -p 8610-8612 192.168.0.20
>
> Starting Nmap 7.60 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2019-01-01 11:39 MST
> Nmap scan report for 192.168.0.20
> Host is up (0.050s latency).
>
> PORT     STATE         SERVICE
> 8610/udp open|filtered canon-mfnp
> 8611/udp closed        canon-bjnp1
> 8612/udp closed        canon-bjnp2
> MAC Address: 80:A5:89:BD:C7:39 (AzureWave Technology)
>
> Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 2.01 seconds

Before going the network route, try USB. Does that work?

MFNP is a variation on the the BJNP protocol for the network. BJNP is
for inkjet, MFNP for the laserjets.The differences are pretty minor, so
the backed supports both.

If USB works:

Just open ports in your firewall (if you have one) on your pc as
described in man sane-pixma under FIREWALLING FOR NETWORKED SCANNERS

Open 8612 TCP + UDP outgoing
Open 8612 UDP incoming from any address

scanimage -L
is the best command to test initial connectivity

BR, Louis