[sane-devel] Canon imageCLASS MF416dw & Ubuntu 18.04

John Oliver joliver at john-oliver.net
Wed Jan 2 15:11:14 GMT 2019

On Wed, Jan 02, 2019 at 12:07:35AM +0100, Louis Lagendijk wrote:
> Before going the network route, try USB. Does that work?

No.  I had been able to see it under Ubuntu 16.04 several months ago,
but I believe there was no support for it in that version of sane, so I
gave up and reverted to rebooting to Windows to scan.

> MFNP is a variation on the the BJNP protocol for the network. BJNP is
> for inkjet, MFNP for the laserjets.The differences are pretty minor, so
> the backed supports both.
>
> If USB works:
>
> Just open ports in your firewall (if you have one) on your pc as
> described in man sane-pixma under FIREWALLING FOR NETWORKED SCANNERS
>
> Open 8612 TCP + UDP outgoing
> Open 8612 UDP incoming from any address

I'd had a firewall rule to allow UDP traffic from the MFD for a long
time.  I don't filter outbound traffic.

> scanimage -L

Fails, even as root, for network and USB.  'lsusb' doesn't list it.
It's been forever and a day since I did anything with USB under Linux...
it's "just worked" for years.

BTW, the MFD *does* work, I can print to it, and I can scan via the
network from Windows.