[sane-devel] device i/o error

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Mon Jan 14 08:47:44 GMT 2019

Hello,

On Jan 12 09:56 Luca Forina wrote (excerpt):

> Hp LaserJet MFP M28-M31
> SANE: Error during device I/O (code=9)
> hp-scan log with sane debug enabled:
> https://pastebin.com/raw/75tT12td

because the latter shows
hpaio:/usb/HP_LaserJet_MFP_M28-M31?serial=VNC3K44877
you may have a look at

http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2016-November/034901.html

and follow the links therein because nowadays "xhci_hcd"
kernel driver/module issues (a.k.a. "USB 3" issues) are the
most often cause of inexplicable issues with USB scanners
(in particular errors during lower level device I/O).

When your scanner is not connected at a USB port where the
kernel module xhci_hcd is used as kernel driver (e.g. when
your scanner is connected at a USB port where the kernel
module uhci_hcd or ehci_hcd is used as kernel driver),
then have a look at "Trouble-Shooting (Debugging)" in

https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Configuring_Scanners

Finally ask at HPLIP (i.e. wherefrom your scanner driver 'hpaio' is):

https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/support

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)