[sane-devel] Question on Parallel port devices

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Mon Jan 14 12:41:38 GMT 2019

Hi Johannes,

Johannes Meixner writes:

> Hello,
>
> On Jan 12 20:40 Mauricio Hunt wrote (excerpt):
>> I have a question about the use of a
>> parallel port scanner (Epson Actionscanner II).
>> In the past I did this and worked just fin
>> I use Open Suse and it recognizes the parallel port
>
> you did not write what version of openSUSE you use.
>
> In recent openSUSE the package libieee1284 was dropped
> (in March 2018) because libieee1284 requires Python2
> which is is considered to be deprecated/outdated.

Weird.  That Debian libieee1284* package maintainer(s) seem to manage
fine without a Python (run-time) dependency.

Looking closer[1], the Python build-time dependency is only needed if
you insist on building the Python bindings for the library.  You could
have just dropped those and still provide the C library ...
# Just a thought.

 [1]: https://github.com/twaugh/libieee1284/blob/master/configure.in#L62

> [...]

Hope this helps,