[sane-devel] [ITR] Intent To Release: sane-backends-1.0.28

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Wed Jul 10 12:49:23 BST 2019

Hi all,

Following the schedule announced earlier (and included below), our
master branch is now (2019-07-10 12:00UTC) in feature freeze.

Please do *not* push/merge to master unless it is a bug fix or
documentation update.

# FYI, I reserve the right to push CI updates that aim to automate the
# release process.

Updates and additional info inlined below.

Olaf Meeuwissen writes:

> Hi all,
>
> Last time we released was 2017-05-22, a whopping two years and then some
> ago.  Even the Debian project, notorious for its long release cycles, is
> [slated to put out a new release][1] faster than that.
>
>  [1]: https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2019/06/msg00003.html

Debian 10 was [released][1a] 2019-07-06, 25 months after Debian 9.
We're shooting for 26 months ...

 [1a]: https://www.debian.org/News/2019/20190706

> I've created a [milestone][2] to coordinate the 1.0.28 release.  This
> will be our first release after the move to GitLab.com so a couple of
> things will change from what we used to do.

I've gone through the open issues and merge requests and documented what
I think needs to go into 1.0.28 and what not.

> # Does anyone actually remember what we used to do :thinking_face:?
>
>  [2]: https://gitlab.com/sane-project/backends/-/milestones/2
>
> In terms of timeline, things look like this (for those of you who can't
> be bothered to follow the link :wink:):
>
>   | Date       | Phase                   |
>   |:----------:|:------------------------|
>   | 2019-06-26 | Kick-off                |
>   | 2019-07-10 | Feature freeze          |
>   | 2019-07-24 | Code freeze             |
>   | 2019-07-31 | Release :confetti_ball: |
>
> I'm still mostly going by what's in [doc/releases.txt][3] but will
> update that as I see fit.  Some of the info in there is no longer
> relevant, some of it can be scripted away in our CI (or so I think
> and I'll be testing that in a private fork).
>
>  [3]: https://gitlab.com/sane-project/backends/blob/master/doc/releases.txt

I haven't updated doc/releases.txt yet but a number of CI changes have
landed on master that automate some of the steps we normally only did
for releases for all our snapshots.

> For you project members, please have a look at the open merge requests
> and open issues that have been assigned to you.  If any of those
> are/look accomplishable within the timetable of the milestone, feel free
> to add them to the milestone.  If you do, you're also expected to take
> care of the merge request or issue within the timetable above, for
> obvious reasons, I hope.
>
> Next, for any [unassigned merge requests][4] and [unassigned issues][5]
> have a look at whether this could be taken care of for 1.0.28.  If so,
> self-assign and add them to the milestone.  If not, just leave them as
> they are.
>
>  [4]: https://gitlab.com/sane-project/backends/merge_requests?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&state=opened&assignee_id=None
>  [5]: https://gitlab.com/sane-project/backends/issues?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&state=opened&assignee_id=None

The above still holds but only for bug fixes and documentation updates.

Hope this helps,