[sane-devel] [ITR] Intent To Release: sane-backends-1.0.28

Povilas Kanapickas povilas at radix.lt
Fri Jul 12 23:03:23 BST 2019

Hi all,

On 2019-07-12 21:12, Rolf Bensch wrote:
> Hi Olaf,
>
> Am 10.07.19 um 13:37 schrieb Olaf Meeuwissen:
>>
>> Thanks for bringing this up.  I agree with considering this for the next
>> one.  I'd really like to move to semantic versioning.  That way we can
>> make a 1.1 branch at "feature freeze" and only add bug fixes there.
>> Preferably via cherry-picking from master but other flows are possible.
>>
>> New features can go to master any time they're ready.
>>
> I'd like to see something like a simplified git-flow:
>
> master - for releases
> develop - all ongoing development (source for git snapshot)
> release branches - created on develop @ feature freeze
>       - may contain tags like "1.28.0-code_freeze"
>       - merge to develop if necessary
>       - merge to master if ready
>
> All merges should be done with the option --no-ff .

I second this option.

Another semi-related thing I'd like us to consider: what about
forbidding direct pushes to the master/develop branch and only allowing
pull requests even if the developer will merge them himself without
additional review? This will ensure that the CI gets a chance to run.
With the current direct-push-to-master approach I see many chances where
the CI could break. Additionally, if something breaks later the pull
request page is a very clear place where the discussion (if needed)
could take place.

Regards,
Povilas