[sane-devel] Code freeze and release preparations for 1.0.28 (was Re: [ITR] Intent To Release: sane-backends-1.0.28)

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Fri Jul 26 01:57:49 BST 2019

Hi Ralph,

Ralph Little writes:

> Hi,I have grabbed to en_GB.po file and I have engaged the services of
> poedit to work through the texts.

Good.

> I have a few comments:
> 1) Some of the GB translations are obviously completely wrong. I
> assume that the original messages have radically change from their
> original intentions.

I guess those are marked as fuzzy.  The gettext tools will preseed
untranslated message strings based on "similar" translated strings.
Obviously, that sometimes leads to radically wrong translations.

These fuzzy strings will *not* be used at run-time.  They are just
there in an attempt to help the translator.

> 2) Some of the original US messages contain Britishisms (for want of a
> better term!). Should we correct them in the original source (for
> example, "behaviour").

Please keep that for after the 1.0.28 release.

> 3) There are a few original messages which have questionable or
> contorted grammar. Should we fix those also before release?

See above.  Just focus on creating good translations for now.

BTW, I certainly welcome a thorough review of all the strings by
someone with native English proficiency.

> 4) I have one or two questions about some spellings which I think are
> wrong but I am not sure. One such example is Linier which I think was
> probably intended to be Linear but might be something else of which I
> am unfamiliar.

The "linier" comes from the kvs1025 backed and is one of the gamma
profile values the user can select.  Pretty sure that was meant to
be "linear".

> Longer term, does it make sense to try to reduce the number of
> repetitions?

Yes, but I'm not sure how feasible that is.  Volunteers welcome!

> Cheers,Ralph

Hope this helps,