[sane-devel] Proposal to remove autoconf-generated files from the source repository

r. a. schmied uwppp at flash.net
Sat Jun 8 17:31:32 BST 2019

Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
> Hi!
>
> TL;DR I am going to merge this shortly after 2019-06-12 10:00 UTC unless
> someone raises objection here or in the [merge request][0].
>
>  [0]: https://gitlab.com/sane-project/backends/merge_requests/72
>
> Longer story follows below.
>
> Povilas Kanapickas writes:
>

>>Hi all,
>>
>>I propose we remove files from the source repository that are generated
>>by autoconf and friends and ask the developers to do that.
>>
>>The primary motivation for this change is that the content of the
>>generated files depends on the autotools version. Thus it makes harder
>>for the developers to collaborate as they must use exactly matching
>>autotools versions. Additionally the project history is cluttered by
>>changes to the generated files, but we could perhaps live with that.
>

> ACK.
>

>>A PR has been opened here and received some discussion already:
>>https://gitlab.com/sane-project/backends/merge_requests/72
>

> Actually, Povilas and I have been hashing out and fixing up the
> implications on the branch this merge request is about.  See the MR for
> the gory details.
>

>>We could keep inclusion of the generated files to the source tarballs
>>that we distribute so that the recipients of the tarballs don't need to
>>have autotools installed.
>

> The current state (9c42d6ac) of that branch' CI only uploads source
> tarballs created via `make dist` after they pass a `make` on all the CI
> build environments.  These snapshot tarballs include all generated files
> so people downloading them from the [project's website][1] do *not* need
> any of the autotools.
>
>  [1]: http://sane-project.org/snapshots/
>
> # Official releases will of course include the generated files too.
>
> However, if you clone the git repository (or download an archive of the
> git repository via the GitLab web UI), you will have to run
>
>  ./autogen.sh
>
> before you can ./configure.  This is documented in the README as well.
> The README also documents the extra tools you need.
>

>>Additionally, this way we could be sure that this change does not
>>break on weird platforms that we don't currently do testing on.
>

> While working on this, we noticed that Alpinelinux does not provide some
> of the autoconf macros we use to check for C++ standard's compliance.  I
> have added a check for this to ./autogen.sh so people affected will not
> be scratching their heads when running into this.  A failing check will
> output instructions on what to do.
>

>>The approach suggested in this email is how most projects that use
>>autotools operate. We would be going through a common and tested path.
>>
>>Does anyone know reasons why this wouldn't work in our use case?
>

> I don't and there was no-one flagging up anything for a week.
>

>>Does anyone's workflow depend on autotools files being present in the
>>default source checkout?
>

> If so, you have two options:

> [...]

aloha olaf and interested saners

i've got one of those out-of-band systems (sun solaris 10 sparc update 8).
this is a very brief list of my handling of issues with configure as
shipped and possibly with configure.ac after this change takes place.
nothing that cannot be overcome.

when i run configure i have to set loads of envvars to set things right
but something i've been unable to fix with the current autotools system,
well two things:

1) to get a clean compile of umax_pp.c i had to add -D_XPG6 for gcc 4.9.0
   and my system to compile.

   i'm still unsure why any of the umax stuff is being compiled as that
   backend is not a listed backend unless it is needed for test or net.

2) my os has libusb at /usr/sfw/lib and provides /usr/sfw/bin/libusb-config
   to get the libs and cflags much like pkg-config does.  i've been
   struggling to get a workable set of autotool macros to work around
   this problem.  i think i have a partial solution but it re-instates the
   current override to always use pkg-config for 2 specifically listed
   systems.  i can provide these autotool changes if you are interested.
   (ax_path_generic.m4 and ax_compare_version.m4 added to m4, 25 lines
   or so added to configure.am.  also i've not yet been able to get test
   compiles or test links to work for this hack -- i'm expecting the book
   'autotools: A Practioner's Guide' to be delivered in the coming week.)

   the only thing i really needed to change after running the standard
   configure with my manual settings for USB_CFLAGS and USB_LIBS was
   ./include/sane/config.h:
      comment out: /* #define HAVE_LIBUSB 1 */

      insert: #define HAVE_LIBUSB_LEGACY 1

   this was trivially done following configure with an edit-in-place
   sed command (15 lines as bash script).