[sane-devel] strawman man page for sane-backend.conf file

r. a. schmied uwppp at flash.net
Wed Jun 19 00:09:29 BST 2019

saners

at long last here is my initial draft of a generic man page
that discusses the 'option' setting feature possible with
some sane-backends via the backend.conf file.

i've likely gone over-board, added too much here
and not nearly enough there.

be encouraged to submit markups, to me directly or the list.
might be easier for non-roffers to markup sane-backend_conf.txt
file and let me or someone else hack the changes into roff.

because i'm on, how does configure.ac put it, an "odd-ball
operating system" the attached source *roff works for me,
generating the attached nroff (e.g. man) ascii terminal text
as well as the attached troff .ps file.  linuxers are gonna
have to tweak the troff cmd to get postscript or your
preferred word-process format.

see comments at top of file for the arcane roff commands
i used for development.  note i also squeeze out extra
blank lines by piping the nroff output through gnu cat -s
(e.g. nroff -man doc/sane-backend_conf.5 | gcat -s ).

aloha

ras

attached: doc/sane-backend_conf.man (the roff source)
          doc/sane-backend_conf.5 (roff src doc/Makefile processed)
          sane-backend_conf.5.txt (nroff terminal txt blank line squeezed)
          sane-backend_conf.ps (troff postscript)

oops: nearly forgot this minor tweakage needed ...

patch for doc/Makefile.am and/or and/or doc/Makefile.in and/or doc/Makefile
in order to substitute @PACKAGE_BUGREPORT@ with the value
for the target %.1 %.5 %.7 %.8: %.man at doc/Makefile.am: line 96
append another sed directive (after line 103)
	  -e 's|@PACKAGE_BUGREPORT@|$(PACKAGE_BUGREPORT)|g' \
and re-build doc/Makefile.in and doc/Makefile