[sane-devel] support status

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Wed Mar 6 11:37:27 GMT 2019

Hi,

marcodv at seznam.cz writes:

> Epson scanners Perfection V700, V750, V800, V850 are listed with 'Good'
> support status, which according to the legend means: "good means the device
> is usable for day-to-day work. Some rather exotic features may be missing.".
>
> Is there a more detailed explanation what those missing exotic features in
> those scanners are? http://www.sane-project.org/man/sane-epson2.5.html does
> not look like it provides more information.

Not that I'm aware of.

The epson2 backend's descriptions were copied from the external, third
party epkowa backend if memory serves me right.  That backend also lists
these devices with :good support status.

Since I've been rather intimately involved in the latter backend's
development some time in the distant past, I would hazard a guess that
the :good originates from the fact that the "new fashioned" device I/O
protocol mode was not supported.  Whether that makes any difference is
model specific and I really have no idea.

> Also, I have a temporary access to V600 and sane crashes with 16bpc
> mode. Is there something I could do to make it work?

The V600 is *very* different from the other models you mention.  It
requires a non-free, closed source interpreter and the epkowa backend
(which is open source).  I think it may be a limitation of that
interpreter but am not sure.  Does this model do 16bpc on Windows (or
the Mac)?  If it does, there is hope and the problem is likely to be in
the epkowa backend.

Hmm, I seem to remember something fly by on the list about this ... me
goes have a look ... ah, [that][1] was you too :-) and got buried in my
inbox :-(

 [1]: https://alioth-lists.debian.net/pipermail/sane-devel/2019-February/036566.html

Suggest you try out --depth=16 with pnm image first.  It could be an
issue caused by conversion to tiff.

Hope this helps,