[sane-devel] Using C++ in sane backends

Povilas Kanapickas povilas at radix.lt
Thu May 9 09:56:47 BST 2019

Hey,

I was wondering whether we could to potentially support C++ on a
per-backend basis? This would be useful in certain cases. For example,
being able to use a little of C++ features would simplify genesys
backend a lot, mostly in the area of error handling, where current
approach explodes the amount of code often up to 4 times and still
allows memory leaks to happen easily.

I would propose we allow C++, but that its use must not affect API or
ABI in any way. There should be a hard requirement that there must be no
visible changes outside a specific backend, except the need to link the
backend with libstdc++.

Regards,
Povilas