[sane-devel] scanning with Canon Color Imageclass mf634Cdw

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Wed May 1 13:04:20 BST 2019

Hi SB,

SB writes:

> Hello,
>
> First, I apologize for any unintended ignorance
> I I have just setup/installed a new Canon Color imageclass mf634cdw
> using a wireless setup and Linux drivers UFR II/UFRII LT Printer Driver
> for Linux V3.70 from
> https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/color-laser/color-imageclass-mf634cdw/color-imageclass-mf634cdw?tab=drivers_downloads.
>
> It prints perfectly but, I can't get any scanning utility to recognize
> it. I've been using Mint for a while, but I really didn't have problems
> configuring other printers for scanning (HPLIP, Brother).?? I've looked
> at the post from Steve McNeil
> (https://alioth-lists.debian.net/pipermail/sane-devel/2019-March/036636.html),
> but i don't know how to apply his possible workaround.?? I can usually
> apply solutions if given step-by-step for a non-expert, or even finding
> device info via terminal and
> applying the exact changes to a file, if given the location of the file
> and directory.

Those "instructions" were merged five days ago to the sane-backends
master branch by Rolf Bensch.  Rolf also maintains a PPA with daily
updated *.deb packages that use the code from our master branch.

You can find the PPA and instructions for use at

  https://launchpad.net/~rolfbensch/+archive/ubuntu/sane-git

The PPA is for Ubuntu but I think you should be able to use it as is on
quite a few Debian derivatives, including Mint.  You may have to use a
bit of trial-and-error to find the corresponding Ubuntu release for your
Mint version.  If you're using 19.x (tessa) then I *think* the bionic
packages are your best bet.  For 18.x (sylvia), I'd try xenial and 17.x
(rosa) I'd try trusty first.

> Is it possible to set this printer to scan wirelessly? That would be
> ideal, but in the mean time, how would I set this up through USB?
>
> Thanks for taking time to read this, and any help.

You're welcome.

Hope this helps,