[sane-devel] What's local_only and what's not?

Ralph Little skelband at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 01:04:43 GMT 2019

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 4:00 PM Kelly Price <strredwolf at gmail.com> wrote:

> Back to the code, then.  I'm reminded of Kung Tzu, who said "If
> instructions are unclear, it is the fault of the general.  If
> instructions are clear, but not followed, it is the fault of the
> soldier."  We should update the documentation to make it clear.  Once
> it is clear, we can start blaming programmers.

Perhaps this is the fundamentally a problem of definition then.
I use Ethernet to connect all my devices at home, so I consider them
"local".
If you go out onto the non-local Internet, then I think everyone could
agree that that was remote.
Bluetooth? Well, that's anyone's guess. Is it local or remote?
Ethernet: is the local subnet "local" and anything that goes out the
gateway "remote"?
I think that's too complicated for users.
And certainly open to interpretation.

Cheers,
Ralph