[sane-devel] A query regarding Epson Perfection V39 Scanner

Yuri Chornoivan yurchor at ukr.net
Thu Sep 12 17:44:50 BST 2019

четвер, 12 вересня 2019 р. 15:05:00 EEST Susmita/Rajib написано:
> To,
> The Sane Developers' List
> sane-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org
>
> My dear illustrious Team Members,
>
> I am planning to buy a Scanner. Only Epson Flatbed scanner appears
> viable, as in India it seems only Epson has a very good quality of
> service. I have had a very negative experience with Canon.
>
> In amazon.in, I find that Epson Perfection V39 Scanner is mostly sold.
> There are no HP product at the nearby price range.
>
> However, I see at the Sane page:
> that the said printer is unsupported. But the row shows some comments
> that could evoke some expectations.
> I quote the row:
> Perfection V39 	USB 	0x04b8/0x013d 	Unsupported
supported by the
> epkowa backend plus non-free interpreter 	epson2
> (1.0.124 (unmaintained)) 	sane-epson2
>
> It is probably developed by the manufacturer itself. The question is:
> will it work for a given Linux system? I have an old Ubuntu system and
> Knoppix 7.2.0 based on Debian wheezy.  Yes, I know that I need to
> upgrade. I have even downloaded Knoppix 8.5 but haven't installed it
> on my computer. The older versions presently address all my needs.
>
> My Ubuntu system is:
> Release:	14.04
> Codename:	trusty
>
> Any suggestion on Epson drivers? Any suggestion on any other scanner?
> The Amazon page for India is:
> https://www.amazon.in
>
> Eagerly awaiting your advice.
>
> Regards,
> Rajib Bandopadhyay
> A Linux user

Hi,

I'm an owner of Epson Perfection V330 Photo scanner (V37 analog, production of
2013). It worked then and works now on proprietary drivers from Epson:

http://support.epson.net/linux/en/imagescanv3.php

You can find the version that fits (the first link with version 3.59.2 is the
driver, the second with version 2.30.4 is its frontend, ImageScan) here

https://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/search/01/search/searchModule

Just enter "V39" into the search field.

It is enough to install the drovers to get the full scanner functionality.

However, Epson proposes the driver packages for Ubuntu 16.04 and above only.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Yuri