[sane-devel] Canon Lide 220 not working over 1200dpi

Jeroen Van den Keybus jeroen.vandenkeybus at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 18:43:24 BST 2019

Ralph,

The LiDE220 is decent for me, but you must restrict yourself to 1200 dpi or
less. Scan speeds and .pnm file sizes for A4 are shown below. Done with
scanimage.

A good workaround for the bad gray scale scan is to scan in 24-bit color
and convert it to grayscale on the PC. Theoretically gives also slightly
better results than gray since 3 channels are used instead of 1. As you can
see, the scan speeds are the same up to 300 dpi and slightly longer up to
600 dpi. Perfectly workable and for me does not justify hours of reverse
engineering without a data sheet.

Scans at 1200 dpi take very long and generate large files. The actual
optical resolution does not seem to improve much. I mostly scan at 300 dpi.

If you want to buy this for driver development, these specs are probably
less relevant.

-----

3x16 bit color (--mode=color --depth=16) (NOTE: fails 600 dpi and above !)
75 dpi: 17s, 3.2M
150 dpi: 17s, 13M
300 dpi: 17s, 52M
600 dpi: (fails)
1200 dpi: (fails)

3x8 bit color (--mode=color)
75 dpi: 17s, 1.6M
150 dpi: 17s, 6.5M
300 dpi: 17s, 26M
600 dpi: 44s, 103M
1200 dpi: 2m11s, 412M

grayscale (--mode=gray) (NOTE: wrong y-resolution !)
75 dpi: 17s, 546k
150 dpi: 17s, 2.2M
300 dpi: 17s, 8.6M
600 dpi: 30s, 35M