[sane-devel] Pulstek OpticBook 3800 - problems with openning device on 1.0.23+

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Sun Sep 29 04:24:48 BST 2019

Hi,

hate29 writes:

> Sorry to open this up as this is a very old post. However I have this
> particular scanner and would like to very much get it work in linux. I'm
> running Ubuntu 18.04 and my scanner isn't recognized by sane or anything
> else. Vuescan merely moves little the reader of the scanner. I'm completely
> newbie with this and don't even know how to apply your patch which is in the
> last post of yours. Or even where to add it. If you might help me I could
> try it out. You seem quite hopeful with it in your post. If there's nothing
> I can do then just ignore this. Thanks.

I had a bit of trouble putting your mail in context but this appears to
be a follow-up on a post to the list from 2013-07-01!

That post mentions patching the genesys backend.  Please be advised that
this backend is under very active development and that patch very likely
to be no longer applicable.  Give our latest release (1.0.28) or the
latest development version a try.  For the latter, you can use a PPA
maintainer by one of the SANE developers.  See

  https://launchpad.net/~rolfbensch/+archive/ubuntu/sane-git/+packages

for details.

One caveat though, the 3800 doesn't appear in the list of supported
devices (although it is in the configuration file) so you probably have
to use sudo to get anything to work, if at all.

@povilas Any idea why this device is not in genesys.desc?

Hope this helps,