[sane-devel] your-firmwarefile.bin

Jono bitrat at fastmail.fm
Sat Aug 8 00:44:35 BST 2020

Hi Torfinn, Olaf and Oliver,

thanks very much for all the help.

I have to say I was a bit shocked when I realised what I was in for to get my old scanner going!  I've been wondering if I should just get an old desktop and run XP on it...
 :D

Also, Torfinn, as you noted..
> your scanner is also listed as not supported here: http://sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html
TBH I did check that table, but I seized on the previous line, which is for the "Perfection 2480" (which is supported) and not the "Perfection 2480 PHOTO" (which isn't).  What's the difference I wonder...

Anyway, my effort to find the driver at http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/search/01/search/?OSC=LX ended with a 404
"The requested URL /dsc/f/01/00/01/58/30/7b7ace27e78fc18e081f8300ebc1af394f88812d/iscan-2.10.0-1.i386.rpm was not found on this server."

On the assumption that I can get the same firmware from a windows driver, I got one from here:
https://epson.com/Support/Scanners/Perfection-Series/Epson-Perfection-2480-Photo/s/SPT_B11B172011?review-filter=Windows+10+32-bit
_________________________
$ wget https://ftp.epson.com/drivers/epson12204.exe
$ unzip -d tmp  epson12204.exe
$ cabextract -F *.bin tmp/ModUsd.cab
$ ll
total 20652
drwxr-xr-x 3 bitrat bitrat     4096 Aug  8 10:42 ./
drwxr-xr-x 4 bitrat bitrat     4096 Aug  8 10:11 ../
-rw-r--r-- 1 bitrat bitrat 21003040 Dec  4  2015 epson12204.exe
-rw-r--r-- 1 bitrat bitrat    64000 Nov  3  2004 esfw30.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 bitrat bitrat    64000 Oct 28  2004 Esfw41.bin
drwxr-xr-x 3 bitrat bitrat     4096 Aug  8 10:42 tmp/

I modified /usr/local/etc/sane.d/snapscan.conf to point at the firmware...

firmware /home/bitrat/opt/scanner/sane/bitrat/Esfw41.bin

Then I tried running scanimage, without much success..
After power cycling the scanner...

_________________________
$ scanimage --help
.
.
scanimage: open of device snapscan:libusb:003:016 failed: Error during device I/O
Type ``scanimage --help -d DEVICE'' to get list of all options for DEVICE.

List of available devices:
    snapscan:libusb:003:016

[sometimes 'scanimage --help' causes an an error (flashing red light), so a power cycle required here..]
[status light yellow..]

$ scanimage -d snapscan:libusb:003:019
Output format is not set, using pnm as a default.
scanimage: output is not a file, exiting

[with the status light flashing red..]

$ scanimage
Output format is not set, using pnm as a default.
scanimage: open of device snapscan:libusb:003:021 failed: Error during device I/O

After a power cycle, the scanimage command causes the scanner motor to run briefly, and the status light to flash bright yellow twice, then the status light goes from dim yellow to fast flashing red.  Needs another power cycle to reset.  Disconnecting and reconnecting from the USB doesn't reset the scanner.

I also tried using esfw30.bin, with similar results.

Sorry if I'm expecting too much here, but I really don't have the time to spend on this.  It would be great if anyone has any further suggestions, otherwise, I think I'll try a Windows setup.

Thanks again everybody!  Very much appreciated!
Cheers,
--
  Jono
  bitrat at fastmail.fm