[sane-devel] Alexander Pevzner-sane-airscan-version

Alexander Pevzner pzz at apevzner.com
Wed Aug 26 11:37:38 BST 2020

Hi Paul,

On 8/26/20 5:14 AM, pj.world at gmx.com wrote:
> 1. I am seeing in my prior post I wrote (Whereis prior sane-airscan did
> not scan correctly with the MFC-J485DW). It was obviously a different
> package affecting the scan output then sane-airscan package. I recall
> that I could scan using sane-airscan but output was all grey or
> something completely NON legible.

So this problem doesn't exist anymore, correct?

> 1. I suppose I should probably update the installed version of
> sane-airscan to (0.99.15+74.1_amd64.deb) correct?

Yes, this is better to upgrade.

> 2. With sane-airscan version (0.99.9+67.1 amd64) currently installed.
> The brother MFC-J485DW works with xsane 0.999 to scan using sane-airscan
> eSCL option. I think it can be added to the compatible list maybe.

Thank a lot! I've updated the list.

> 3. I notice with sane-airscan version (0.99.9+67.1 amd64) that 600 dpi
> is maximum. When I use the Brother device driver I can select 1200 dpi.

Both for platen and ADF?

According to specs, maximal optical resolution for ADF is 1200x600. SANE
API has a limitation, making asymmetrical resolutions hard to use, so
sane-airscan will not use 1200x600, and will fallback to 600x600, while
brother driver may decide to resample 1200x600->1200x1200

But for platen, specs claims optical resolutions up to 1200x2400

If you have some time, I can look. At this case, I will need a protocol
trace. Please, in the /etc/sane.d/airscan.conf uncomment the following
lines:

[debug]
trace = ~/airscan/trace
enable = true

And then rerun. I need ~/airscan/trace/*.log files (the directory will
be creaed automatically)

You can send me logs directly by e-mail (don't post to the list, please)

--

	Wishes, Alexander Pevzner (pzz at apevzner.com)