[sane-devel] sane-backends-1.0.31, issue with HP 5370C

Ralph Little skelband at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 03:39:46 GMT 2020

Hi,

On 2020-12-18 5:01 a.m., Byron Campbell via sane-devel wrote:
> Not sure if this is the best place to report a sane-backends issue,
> but I don't have a github account to report directly to upstream.
> Perhaps someone can relay the following as/if necessary?
>
> Regards, Byron Campbell

> sane-backends-1.0.31,  issue with HP 5370C flatbed scanner,
>
> Problem: incorrect scan resolution (output image size)
>
> xsane-0.999 front-end settings:
>
> Normal
> Color
> Full Color Range
> 300 DPI
> 2544*3292 (21.6cm x 27.88cm)
>
> ISSUE: the resulting sane-backends output is a scanned image (out.pnm)
> size: 2544*6584, or double length; 2*3292=6584
> The best way I can describe the issue; sane-backends is not honoring
> xsane frontend settings, and I've experimented with ALL the settings.
>
> Additionally, I've verified that the problem is present and identical
> on Linux, OpenBSD, and FreeBSD using sane-backends-1.0.31 and
> xsane-0.999.
>
> Interestingly, the problem is nonexistent for an older backup machine
> that has sane-backends-1.0.29, but with the same xsane-0.999 frontend.

I have checked in a change to the avision backend which should fix your
problem.
I don't know what distro you are using, but the fix should go into the
git PPA here:

https://launchpad.net/~sane-project/+archive/ubuntu/sane-git

if you cannot use the PPA, you will likely have to build from source.

I have to say that the support for this scanner is pretty flaky.
I have not looked into the preview issue yet, but I may get around to it
at some point.

Cheers,
Ralph