[sane-devel] Using "scanimage" under Gentoo

Dr Rainer Woitok rainer.woitok at gmail.com
Sat Feb 8 18:10:07 GMT 2020

Olaf,

On Saturday, 2020-02-08 12:52:49 +0900, you wrote:

[ "> >" refers to Bruce Schultz' mail ]

> > That fails now for me with the same error you error you had.
>
> For me too (on our CI's debian-10-full setup with 336cbdfd as well as
> 1.0.29) but I also get a pile of multiple definitions for sanei_debug
> and sanei_usb functions when linking libdll_preload.a.

I also saw these  "multiple definition"  warnings,  but in my experience
compiling other people's programs almost ever produces some warnings, so
what the heck :-)

> I don't know what is going on off the top of my head but suggest you
> follow Bruce's suggestion, at least for the time being, unless you
> really *need* the --disable-dynamic *and* --enable-preload options.

I did, and yes, now the compilation succeedes.  I'll tackle the original
problem with scanning using the ADF next  and will report here what I'll
find out.

Regarding all these options,  well "./configure help" could probably not
be more nebulous:

  --enable-static[=PKGS]  build static libraries [default=no]
  --enable-shared[=PKGS]  build shared libraries [default=yes]

# So why not specify "--enable-shared"?

  --disable-dynamic       Disable dynamic loading of backends

# Since I'm only specifying a single backend anyway,  why not include it
# right into the binary rather than load it at start-up?

  --disable-preload       Disable preloading of backends

# As above: why not enable this option and thus include the single back-
# end right into the binary?

But obviously my interpretation of these option descriptions was bogus.

By the way: I'm meanwhile also specifying "--disable-locking" to get rid
of this warning about allegedly missing group "uucp".

Sincerely,
  Rainer