[sane-devel] Using "scanimage" under Gentoo

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Sat Feb 8 03:52:49 GMT 2020

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for taking a look at this!

Bruce Schultz writes:

> On 2020-02-08 03:51, Dr Rainer Woitok wrote:
>> Bruce,
>>
>> On Thursday, 2020-02-06 06:47:53 +1000, you wrote:

>>> Also, what options are you passing in to ./configure ?
>> Currently the not $PREFIX related options I'm using are
>>
>>     $ ./configure --disable-avahi   --disable-dynamic --disable-nls   \
>>                   --enable-ipv6     --enable-preload  --enable-shared \
>>                   --with-usb        --without-gphoto2 --without-snmp  \
>>                   --without-systemd --without-v4l     BACKENDS=pixma
>>

> That fails now for me with the same error you error you had.

For me too (on our CI's debian-10-full setup with 336cbdfd as well as
1.0.29) but I also get a pile of multiple definitions for sanei_debug
and sanei_usb functions when linking libdll_preload.a.

# This ignores all the incompatible-pointer-types, cast-function-type
# and unused-variable compiler warnings in dll.c.

> (I tried to attach the config.log and config.status, but the message got
> stuck in moderation... I'm resend without those attachments)
>
> Try removing the --disable-dynamic and --enable-preload options. There
> seems to be something about those 2 options together that is triggering
> the error.

# Hmm, that rings a faint bell.  Me goes off looking for related issues
# ... and comes up with #124 (./configure --disable-shared errors out
# linking scanimage).  While not the same, it might be related.
#
#   https://gitlab.com/sane-project/backends/issues/124

I don't know what is going on off the top of my head but suggest you
follow Bruce's suggestion, at least for the time being, unless you
really *need* the --disable-dynamic *and* --enable-preload options.

I see you also --enable-shared and wonder if there isn't an inherent
contradiction in combining these three options like that.  If there is,
`./configure` should say so, of course, but I think I need to deep-dive
the SANE Standard and linking scenarios that SANE claims to support to
make sure *and* combine that with the options and how libtool works.
Not a fun, enviable job, btw ;-/

Hope this helps,