[sane-devel] [janitorial] Rescheduling 1.0.29

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Sun Jan 5 12:26:10 GMT 2020

Hi all,

Povilas Kanapickas writes:

> On 1/4/20 4:31 PM, Louis Lagendijk wrote:
>> Just a question: why do we use 1.0.29, should we not switch to semantic
>> versioning, i.e. 1.1.0 so we can cut bugfix releases if we ever want
>> them?
>>
>> Sorry if this has been discussed before....
>
> I agree with Louis.
>
> I would even suggest to use date-based versioning such as 20.1.0 where
> 20 is the year, 1 is the month and 0 is the patch version. Major and
> minor releases don't mean much in the case of sane-backends as it's just
> a collection of many separate scanner libraries, so we might as well use
> the numbers to signify the release date.

Sorry but semantic versioning won't fly just yet.  I would really love
to use it for sane-backends but (based on a vague recollection of a code
analysis I did some years ago) the dll backend's implementation mucks
with the package's minor version when loading backends :-/

That is, the sane-backends package version may be tightly coupled with
the SANE backends API version.  Breaking this coupling (if it exists) is
a pre-requisite for switching to semantic version of sane-backends.  The
versioning of the individual backends themselves should be independent
of the package version before we can use semantic versioning for the
package.

Now is *not* the time to start experimenting with this.  Let's leave it
for after 1.0.29.

As for date-based versioning, that really sucks (milestone wise,
assuming you name release milestones after the targetted version) if you
have to post-pone a release for a couple of days and it ends up in the
next month.

@povilas As for 2-digit years, are you too young to remember Y2K ;-P?
And one-digit months?  Yuck!  If using years and months already, why use
patch versions for the third part.  That confuses me big-time as I would
expect a day there.  As for the sane-backends major version, I do think
that that should reflect the SANE Standard/API version.

Hope this helps,