[sane-devel] perfection v10

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Sat Jan 11 13:09:18 GMT 2020

Hi Valerio, iscan-data maintainer(s),

@iscan-data maintainers

valerio writes:

> hi Olaf,
>
> Il 07/01/20 13:07, Olaf Meeuwissen ha scritto:
>> Hi Valerio,
>>
>> Oops!  My mistake.  You need to add a --pkg-vers option with the value
>> of the iscan-data version you have installed.  Blindly assuming that is
>> 1.39.1-2 (adjust as necessary!), the command becomes
>>
>>     sh -x make-policy-file --force --mode udev \
>> 	    --registry /var/lib/iscan-data/clean-files \
>>              --pkg-vers 1.39.1-2 \
>>              --out-file policy.out > log.out 2>&1
>
> well, i'll try to attach this two files, i don't know if it is possible.

Thanks for the files.  That policy.out file doesn't look like it should,
at all.  It's supposed to contain a pile of additional rules that look
like whatever the distribution's libsane package uses for USB devices.

It appears that the Debian package maintainer split off the USB devices
into a 20-sane.hwdb and only left the SCSI devices in 60-libsane.rules.
This was done to address Debian bug 869244 (see [1]).

  [1]: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=869244

Unfortunately, that seems to have broken the logic in make-policy-file.
That script has been working fine for more than a decade on multiple
distributions but it looks like it needs some fixing up now.  The Debian
change will problably also affect *all* of Debian's downstreams :-/

> i have found that the problem clould be the xhci and suggest to change
> the USB configuration, xhci pre-boot mode fron enabled to disabled, i
> tried, but doesn't work
>
> and the scanner is connected to a usb 2.0 port

Considering the above, I do not think xhci is involved.  Even more so
seeing you're using a USB 2.0 port.

Hope this helps,