[sane-devel] Regression tests

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Tue Jan 28 09:13:24 GMT 2020

Hi Ralph,

Ralph Little writes:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 3:36 AM Olaf Meeuwissen <paddy-hack at member.fsf.org>
> wrote:
>
>> [...snip...]
>> Based on my own recent experience with fixing the compiler warnings, see
>> #120, I wouldn't lump that many issues in a single issue again :-/
>> Splitting them out at the very least makes it easier to see what has
>> been taken care of :-)
>
> I did wonder about that. On the one hand, I find it useful to have the full
> report in one place. People can see the report as a time-based snapshot of
> the state of support at that time. On the other hand, as you say, it is
> harder to then use it as a vehicle for tracking progress on subsequent work.
> I wonder then if Issues are the correct medium for this type of report. I
> will have a poke around GitLab to see if there is anything better available.

I thought about this too and didn't it in my reply but perhaps that
using a "mini"-milestone (aka inch-pebble ;-) works.

So far, all the milestones for the sane-backends were tied to releases
but we could use milestones to organize multi-issue, focussed efforts to
get something done.  The milestone page will show how many issues and
merge requests are tied to it (and how many are open, closed and, in the
case of MRs, merged) as well as a percentage progress bar.

# If you decide to use an inch-pebble, please stay clear versions for
# their name please.

> As an aside, I haven't forgotten about XSane :D I picked up the reins again
> last week and am working through the autotools doc.
> Don't really have much experience in that realm so there is some learning
> to do.

Feel free to ask (after 1.0.29 is out ;-)

Hope this helps,