[sane-devel] Regression tests

Ralph Little skelband at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 17:48:51 GMT 2020

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 3:36 AM Olaf Meeuwissen <paddy-hack at member.fsf.org>
wrote:

> You probably want to be a bit more specific in noting the version you
> used ;-)  Rolf's PPA is designed to change.
> Just past the version provided by ./configure --version, that is good
> enough to find back the exact commit.

Good point.

I don't really share your optimism about them being minor, exact perhaps
> for the first two.  The other ones may or may not be so minor (based on
> seeing others wrestle with getting support for higher resolutions right
> as well as adding button support).

I guess I was really thinking of the simple changes when I wrote that.
Yep, adding button and 2400dpi support is most likely not trivial.
I did have a cursory glance at the backend regarding the 2400dpi issue and
it does appear that there is some code that addresses this that can be
conditionally compiled in. I have no idea if it works or not. I suspect
not, otherwise why compile it out?

> Based on my own recent experience with fixing the compiler warnings, see
> #120, I wouldn't lump that many issues in a single issue again :-/
> Splitting them out at the very least makes it easier to see what has
> been taken care of :-)

I did wonder about that. On the one hand, I find it useful to have the full
report in one place. People can see the report as a time-based snapshot of
the state of support at that time. On the other hand, as you say, it is
harder to then use it as a vehicle for tracking progress on subsequent work.
I wonder then if Issues are the correct medium for this type of report. I
will have a poke around GitLab to see if there is anything better available.

As an aside, I haven't forgotten about XSane :D I picked up the reins again
last week and am working through the autotools doc.
Don't really have much experience in that realm so there is some learning
to do.

Cheers,
Ralph