[sane-devel] Canon Canoscan LiDE 400 support in Slackware

valerio bardo1950 at fastwebnet.it
Sat Jul 18 08:10:28 BST 2020

hi Alexander and all,

Il 17/07/20 17:50, Alexander Pevzner ha scritto:
> Hi Valerio,
>
>>> BTW, Lide 400 known to work via IPP over USB, and in this mode it
>>> supports eSCL protocol.
>>
>> i don't understand
>
> I'll explain :-)
>
> There is such a thing, that driverless printing and scanning.
> "Driverless" means that device implements vendor-neutral protocol, and
> driver is very generic and works with a large class of compatible
> devices, regardless of their models and manufacturers.
>
> Normally, driverless printing and scanning were protocols designed for
> network-connected devices. IPP over USB is a technology, that allows to
> "speak" with compatible USB devices as if they were connected to the
> network.
>
> IPP over USB requires additional piece of software, the ipp-usb daemon,
> which connects to device via USB and exposes it to the network (by
> default to localhost only).
>
> eSCL is a scanning protocol, supported by many devices from many
> vendors. It is also known as Apple AirScan.
>
> Both protocols (IPP over USB and eSCL) are supported by your device.
>
> You will need ipp-usb daemon, to enable IPP over USB, and sane-escl or
> sane-airscan, to utilize eSCL scanning.
>
> I don't know if somebody tested sane-escl with your device, but
> regarding sane-airscan, two independent users reported that it works
> with Lide 400.

that scanner has no connection with the net, so they said.

but i have solved: i installed again the package i found in
http://www.sane-project.org/snapshots/
following the instructions: with no root privilege for ./configure and
make, and make install as root.

the first time i had done all as root.

scanimage -L
device `pixma:04A91912_43C82A' is a CANON CanoScan LiDE 400
multi-function peripheral

scanimage -V
scanimage (sane-backends) 1.0.30-914-g8bdd27d14; backend version 1.0.30

thanks all
valerio