[sane-devel] [janitorial] Let's release 1.0.31 in August

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Wed Jul 22 13:12:48 BST 2020

Hi Sedat,

Sedat Dilek writes:

> On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 1:45 PM Olaf Meeuwissen
> <paddy-hack at member.fsf.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've been dragging my feet of late.  Not just as far as the SANE Project
>> is concerned but in general.  For one reason or another I just can't get
>> myself to do much after I get home from work ... :-/
>>
>> Let's see if I can change that a bit by upping the pressure (on myself)
>> and announce intent to release sane-backend-1.0.31 sometime next month.
>> That would keep us on track for a roughly half-yearly release cycle, not
>> counting security bug fix releases like 1.0.30.
>>
>> In keeping with what's in our `doc/release.txt` (minus a day or two), I
>> would like to proceed along the following timeline
>>
>>   2020-07-21 Kick-off
>>   2020-08-02 Feature Freeze (-> cut release/1.0.31 branch)
>>   2020-08-16 Code Freeze
>>   2020-08-23 Release
>>
>> You can find a milestone for 1.0.31 at
>>
>>  https://gitlab.com/sane-project/backends/-/milestones/4
>>
>> I'll be adding issues fixed and merge requests to be included or already
>> included in the coming weeks and hope to finish that before the feature
>> freeze.  Help with that chore is welcome by the way.
>>
>> # FTR, I'll be mostly off-line during the August 12-16 period.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>
> I am not 100% following this mailing-list, so I can miss fundamental
> informations.
>
> As I had a Canon LIDE 70 I wanted to ask what is the status of support for it?

Support will be added in 1.0.31.  It's already mentioned in the NEWS
file

  https://gitlab.com/sane-project/backends/-/blob/master/NEWS

> While searching for informations myself:
> 1. Its man-page [2] points to nirvana.

That's because the backend has not been included in a release yet and is
something that we might want to fix.  Please submit an issue.

> 2. The ChangeLogs file [3] ends with release 1.0.28.

Actually, that points to a ChangeLogs *directory*.  We decided to stop
updating the ChangeLog in the repository itself because `git log` will
tell you anyway.  Of course that assumes you have cloned the repository
but if you haven't, you can check

  https://gitlab.com/sane-project/backends/-/commits/master

Our source tarballs, both release and snapshots, include a generated
ChangeLog file though.

There's also an issue about this

  https://gitlab.com/sane-project/backends/-/issues/313

> Thanks for a feedback in advance.
>
> - Sedat -
>
> [1] http://www.sane-project.org/lists/sane-backends-cvs.html#S-CANON-LIDE70
> [2] http://www.sane-project.org/man/sane-canon_lide70.5.html
> [3] https://gitlab.com/sane-project/backends/-/tree/master/ChangeLogs
> [4] https://gitlab.com/sane-project/backends/-/merge_requests/247

As for that last merge request, you want to look at 315 instead (as
mentioned at the bottom of the feedback on 247).

Hope this helps,