[sane-devel] Place for scanner firmware

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Tue Jul 28 12:11:32 BST 2020

Hi Ulf,

Ulf Zibis writes:

> is there any place on sane web site to share scanner firmware?
>
> E.g. for Mustek ScanExpress 1200 UB Plus I could share *SBfw.usb* (got
> from here: http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/gt68xx-backend/)

No.  And for a good reason.

Most firmware files are extracted from the vendor's Windows and/or Mac
drivers.  These drivers come with a license and unless that license
explicitly allows redistribution of the firmware file (without the rest
of the driver), redistributing it is bound to get you into legal
trouble.

In addition, the SANE Project's web site is published on servers
maintained by GitLab.com so we have to abide by their rules as well.
Naturally, GitLab.com doesn't want to get into legal trouble itself and
requires that you have permission to publish whatever you publish.  If
you don't have that permission, you run a the risk of getting "kicked
out".

# I'm paraphrasing from memory.

I had a quick look at the page you mentioned and could not find any
mention of licenses for the various firmware files ...
Definitely going out on a limb there.

Hope this helps,