[sane-devel] Epson and epkowa

ken gebser at mousecar.com
Thu Jun 18 19:18:17 BST 2020

On 5/20/20 11:04 AM, Ralph Little wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2020-05-20 2:08 a.m., Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I forgot to mention that we don't have documentation on either of the
>> two protocols that wrap the ESC/I and ESC/I-2 protocols for network
>> communication.
>>
>> Olaf Meeuwissen writes:
>>
> The secretiveness of printer/scanner manufacturers regarding their
> protocols absolutely baffles me.
> I remember a time when printers came with a manual containing the
> entire protocol to allow you to program it.
>
> A rich software infrastructure is one of the things that sells devices.
> Who wouldn't want to sell more devices?
>
> Cheers,
> Ralph

Indeed.  For a year or more I've wanted to buy a new AIO
printer/scanner, but of course want one which fully supports Linux.  I
told salespeople this and they go silent.  Either the machine of my
interest doesn't support Linux or they don't know.  It's very
discouraging for me and the manufacturers are losing my sale... and
probably sales from others like me.