[sane-devel] Epson and epkowa

Ralph Little skelband at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 19:46:29 BST 2020

Hi,

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 11:31 AM ken <gebser at mousecar.com> wrote:

> On 5/20/20 11:04 AM, Ralph Little wrote:
>
> > A rich software infrastructure is one of the things that sells devices.
> > Who wouldn't want to sell more devices?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Ralph
>
> Indeed.  For a year or more I've wanted to buy a new AIO
> printer/scanner, but of course want one which fully supports Linux.  I
> told salespeople this and they go silent.  Either the machine of my
> interest doesn't support Linux or they don't know.  It's very
> discouraging for me and the manufacturers are losing my sale... and
> probably sales from others like me.
>
> I think it is a trend resulting from manufacturers becoming overly large
and losing their social conscience.
Pretty much all manufacturers are doing it now, particularly since they are
competing less on hardware and more on infrastructure and services and
jealously guarding their walled fences. Increasingly, the people running
these organisations are distanced from end-users: they are just numbers on
a balance sheet.

You don't have to be kind when you don't believe that you are dealing with
people.

Anyway, I don't want to get too political here especially because I can
feel myself getting annoyed :D

Cheers,
Ralph