[sane-devel] Canon ImageCLASS MF743cdw

Alexander Pevzner pzz at apevzner.com
Wed Mar 18 04:46:17 GMT 2020

Hi Chris,

On 3/18/20 4:48 AM, Chris Richards wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> I just bought this AIO Canon.  It has both USB and Network, and I have
> it on the network.  So far it's been doing what I need, but I have to
> use a Windows VM to talk to the scanner.  I've captured network packets
> when using the windows VM, and it appears to be using ports 8510/8512.
> If I use the SANE Pixma configuration file to talk to it, I can see it
> sending packets over the network to the printer, but it fails to ID the
> printer.

Does the following command find your printer on a network?

   avahi-browse -rt _uscans._tcp

If yes (which is very likely), it means your device supports eSCL protocol.

At this case you may either use sane-escl driver, included into SANE, or
sane-airscan driver, not (yet?) included into SANE:

https://github.com/alexpevzner/sane-airscan

For sane-airscan, binary packages for many popular distroc available here:

https://software.opensuse.org//download.html?project=home%3Apzz&package=sane-airscan

> bInterfaceClass 7
> bInterfaceSubClass 1
> bInterfaceProtocol 4

You printer also supports IPP-over-USB, so with a help of additional
software it can be connected to USB but used as if was connected to the
network. I can tell you more details, if you are interested.

--

	Wishes, Alexander Pevzner (pzz at apevzner.com)