[sane-devel] escl backend and ippusbxd

Alexander Pevzner pzz at apevzner.com
Fri Mar 20 11:22:23 GMT 2020

Hi,

On 3/20/20 2:04 PM, Rolf Bensch wrote:
> I've seen that some people need to purge |ippusbxd| before they can use
> their scanner with escl backend (e.g.
> https://gitlab.com/sane-project/backends/-/issues/256#note_307051019).
>
> Is this a fix rule? Then I'd like to add a break dependency to
> |ippusbxd| in my Ubuntu ppa.

ippusbxd has inherent problems that cannot be easily fixed:

https://github.com/OpenPrinting/ippusbxd/issues/15
https://github.com/OpenPrinting/ippusbxd/issues/14

ippusbxd may occasionally work with escl backend or not, but in any case
it will not work stable.

There is a replacement free of these problems:

https://github.com/OpenPrinting/ipp-usb

Note, this software is only needed to connect IPP-over-USB enabled
device using USB. It is not needed if network connection is in use.

--

	Wishes, Alexander Pevzner (pzz at apevzner.com)