[sane-devel] escl backend and ippusbxd

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 11:38:50 GMT 2020

On 20/03/2020 12:29, Thierry HUCAHRD wrote:
> Hi,
> No, this has nothing to do with eSCL.
> ippusbxd allows you to use escl backends on the usb.
> The problem is that sane doesn't detect the scanner on the usb anymore,
> so PIXMA can't be used anymore.
> I don't know if ippusbxd solved the problem?
> in any case if the device has a usb driver, ippusbxd is not necessary!

On the other side if you have ippusbxd or ipp-usb running you do not
need one of the device-specific USB drivers like pixma, as IPP-over-USB
is designed for driverless operation of multi-function devices and so
every device which supports IPP-over-USB also supports printing and
scanning using manufacturer-independent standards, for scanning currenly
usually eSCL. So with an IPP-over-USB daemon (ippusbxd or ipp-usb)
running you are supposed to scan with an eSCL backend (escl or airscan).
This way multi-function devices which are not from HP (HPLIP) or from
Canon (pixma) scan with free software.

    Till