[sane-devel] AXIS 1650 support for Pixma backend - work in progress

Rolf Bensch rolf at bensch-online.de
Fri Mar 20 18:58:20 GMT 2020

Hi Ondrej,

Many thanks for your message.

Am 20.03.20 um 18:44 schrieb Ondrej Zary:
> Hello,
> I have a Canon MF5730 MFP with external AXIS 1650 print server:
> https://www.axis.com/techsup/prtsrv/axis_1650/index.htm
>
> I've reverse engineered the print data format and wrote CUPS driver couple of
> years ago so printing works fine.
>
> Now it's time for scanning. Thanks to SANE and Pixma backend, scanning works
> when connected directly using the USB port (except for the buttons).
>
> The scan mode of AXIS 1650 works as USB-over-TCP.
> The Windows AXIS Scan Client discovers and identifies local scan-capable print
> servers using a simple UDP-based WIMP protocol:
> https://www.axis.com/techsup/prtsrv/axis_1650/technotes_1650.htm#2
>
> Then it connects to the selected print server using TCP, locking it for the
> current user, and creates a virtual USB device so the Canon driver could be
> used to scan.
>
> I've based AXIS support for Pixma backend on the BJNP code.
> What works:
>  - autodetection
>  - connect
>  - scan starts
> What does not:
>  - data gets messed up somehow
>  - scan does not finish successfully
>  - set_timeout, interrupts not implemented

I just created a merge request here:
https://gitlab.com/sane-project/backends/-/merge_requests/361.

Please check if your code still is working. I needed to fix some issues
while merging to recent master branch.

Please follow the merge request and provide your fixes there.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Rolf

  *